December 9, 2011

Intern Diaries: The Photo Shoot

This past Wednesday I got the opportunity to sit in on a photo shoot! The garments that were shown in Company X’s Spring 2012 Fashion Week show, along with some other items, needed to be photographed for the website and for in-house purposes. The photographer’s camera was hooked up to my laptop, so every time he shot a picture it would appear on my screen. Needless to say my eyes were glued to my laptop through the entirety of the five-hour shoot. My job was to name all of the looks in the correct format. It was also my responsibility to keep track of all of the garments and accessories, and to document which ones had been photographed. I had to do this because Company X’s show room is always supposed to be perfectly organized; employees need to know where the garments are at all times in case a client comes in spur-of-the-moment to see the lines.

Throughout the day, other interns and myself were helping the model so that the day went smoothly. We had to make sure she had the correct garment and accessories on, and that her hair and makeup was in tact. We were working side-by-side with the main stylist to see how she wanted the clothing to be photographed for the website. Assisting in this photo shoot was an interesting experience because it gave me an inside look into the styling side of the fashion industry. I am a sales intern so it is always fun to see what is going on in other departments.

When the photo shoot ended I had to make sure that the photographer and model were fed. Ordering and unpacking lunch or picking up coffee orders is a standard intern responsibility at Company X. It is very important to make sure that the photographer and model are well fed and taken care of, because they are working for your company and you want to retain a good relationship with them for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment